The thyroid is a butterfly shaped, hormonal gland that sits in your throat. It sits just below your Adams apple and has two lobes that sit either side of your wind pipe. The thyroid hormones (called T4, T3, T2 and T1 and calcitonin) act like chemical messengers and deliver instructions to various tissues and organs via the bloodstream. The cells within the target organs then use the thyroid hormones and respond by using energy to speed up or slow down their activities. Calorie burning is an essential bodily function, our tissues and organs cannot function at a healthy rate without it. Therefore balancing your thyroid gives you the best possible chance to lose that extra weight.
Overall, the thyroid gland is responsible for the speed of metabolism (metabolic and chemical processes) in your body (including reflex speed, heart speed, mental speed and many more), by affecting every cell, tissue, organ and organ system in your body. The thyroid gland is therefore essential for life, weight management, growth and development. It works with all the hormones in the body to tell them what to do and how to work.
The 7 most common thyroid diseases:
1. Hypothyroidism –underactive thyroid or low thyroid
2. Hyperthyroidism – over active thyroid or high thyroid
3. Graves – autoimmune disease causing over active thyroid (one of the causes of Hyperthyroidism)
4. Hashimoto’s – autoimmune disease causing underactive thyroid (one of the causes of Hypothyroidism)
5. Thyroid cancer – cancer of the thyroid
6. Thyroid nodules – lumps on your thyroid
7. Thyroiditis – inflamed thyroid (can be seen as a goiter or swelling of the
thyroid in the throat)
Women are more likely than men to have thyroid disease and there are a huge variety of reasons for this condition to develop. The thyroid is involved with every function in the body and if it’s out of balance it leads to a multitude of symptoms ranging from energy problems, weight issues, insomnia, joint aches and pains, memory loss, anxiety to name just a few. Remember that the thyroid is responsible for the speed of everything in your body – metabolism included, which is why it is crucial that you get it balanced and enable your body to work at its optimum.