Have you been in a position where you decide to lose weight, diet, exercise more, do all the right things ……. but don’t lose weight?
It is the most frustrating thing!
We see lots of patients in this boat and help them re-instate their metabolism again.
Today I am sharing the top 11 factors that contribute to a shutdown metabolism. I’m sure some will surprise you!
We evolved through survival of the fittest. Humans had to endure both feast and famine, and until recently, if they couldn’t handle these extremes, they would die and keep the gene pool strong.
Today in the Western world, we live in a constant ‘feed frenzy’ with food available on tap. This has led in one aspect to us being overweight and obese, and many have resorted to dramatic calorie restrictions to try and maintain their weight, leading to malnutrition, affecting all the cells and functions in the body. Yo-yo dieting can have permanent disadvantages to the metabolism.
Another factor to our current obesity epidemic is genetic inheritance. Humans prenatally exposed to famine during Dutch Hunger Winter in 1944–1945 showed 60 years later had less DNA methylation of imprinted IGF2 gene compared with their unexposed, same-sex siblings.
Whatever the cause for you, understanding the driving factors as to why you don’t lose weight is the key to turning it around.
The 11 factors to weight loss resistance
The following 11 factors affect our weight loss by influencing regulatory hormones, resting metabolic rate and eating behaviour.
- Under nutrition – deficiency at a cellular level, and at the tissue storage level.
- Over nutrition – excess nutrients in the body resulting in negative effects, eg ferritin, iron, calcium.
- Stress – cortisol excess or deficit, dopamine, adrenaline, etc.
- Inactivity – muscle wastage, lower resting metabolism, high blood glucose.
- Toxicity – toxic load in the body – eg heavy metals.
- Food additives – preservative, pesticide residues of foods, colours and flavours.
- Media devices – use of blue light screens, disrupted cortisol patterns.
- Sleep – any sleep deprivation, waking tired.
- Allostatic load – the total sum of repeated or prolonged chronic stress affecting physiological function.
- Behaviour – personality type, addictions, habits.
- Gut health – dysbiosis, leaky gut, digestion issues.
Understanding how your hormones are working, the state of your thyroid function, and the adrenal hormone system is imperative to help you correct your metabolism.
The medical system only diagnoses and treats advanced stages of thyroid disease. If you have the symptoms, but been told your thyroid is fine, then you need to work with a practitioner who understand how to treat sub-optimal thyroid and help reverse the condition to prevent it becoming a disease that requires medication or surgery to manage.
- Dull and brittle hair
- Sallow skin tone
- Low energy levels
- Brain fog or mental decline
- Depression and mood changes
- Low thyroid function
- Extra sensitive to cold temperatures – you’re the one in the room with the jumper on
- Heart rate changes – weak, erratic or skipping
- Weight gain
- Goiter or appearance of swelling at the throat
- Cysts in any glands – eg ovary, pituitary, breast tissue
- Nodules – thyroid
- Teeth imprints on side of tongue, or fat puffy tongue
First step – find a practitioner who will run thorough functional pathology.
Weight resistance issues are multifactorial, and different people have different needs.
From a functional medicine approach, we first need to understand the state of your hormones and glands, your nutritional status, and your thyroid function. Then we can build a personalised treatment to get you feeling great again!
Particular tests to help give a complete picture;
- Full thyroid function test – TSH, fT4, fT3, rT4 and thyroid antibodies.
- Urinary Iodine saturation load test.
- Methylation status – folate, 5MTHF, homocysteine, active B12.
- Cardiovascular risk factors – triglycerides, cholesterol studies, CRP.
- Glucose system markers – insulin, glucose, HbA1C, 1,5 Anhydroglucitol and Leptin.
- Sex hormones
- Adrenal hormones
- Food intolerances
Patient Testimonial time!!!
“The most helpful, evidence based assistance you will receive for your thyroid and general health. I have been to so many GPs, naturopaths, endocrinologist etc and none have assisted in the way this group has. Very professional and well organised.”
~ D.B. Sydney
Work with the Experts!
If your body refuses to lose weight, it is really hard to try and tackle it on your own. The best way to achieve success in any goal is to employ the services of someone who is experienced in fixing your problem.
If you are ready to set the goal, we are ready to help you achieve it!