Autoimmune Paleo is an amazing diet approach to reset autoimmune disease symptoms. This recipe is a lovely treat that your whole family will love! Enjoy!
- 5 Granny Smith apples peeled, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar + 2 tablespoons for serving
- 1 tblsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp Sea salt + 1/4 tsp
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup coconut oil extra virgin cold pressed
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1 can coconut cream optional for serving
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350F)
- Measure out 3/4 cup coconut oil and 1/2 cup water and put in fridge to cool. Put the coconut cream in the fridge to harden too.
- Place the apple slices in a large bowl. Fill a kettle and bring to the boil. When it is hot, pour the water into the bowl with the apples until they are just covered. Let them sit in the hot water for 8 minutes, and then place in a colander to drain and set aside while you make the crust.
- To make the crust, combine the arrowroot, coconut flour, palm sugar, and sea salt in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Using a pastry cutter, or your fingers, cut in the cold coconut oil until you have pea-sized lumps. Add the cold water, and mix gently. The mixture will be crumbly and not like regular dough.
- Place the mixture into a 20cm pie dish. Using your fingers, spread it evenly across the bottoms and up the sides. Prick some holes in the bottom of the crust with a fork. Again, the dough will not behave like regular pie dough, and the less you handle it the more flaky it will come out. Bake for 15 minutes and then set aside while you make the filling.
- Strain the apple slices, and blot them dry with some paper towel. Combine the coconut palm sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl, and then add the dry apple slices and mix gently. Pour the mixture into the crust, arranging the slices as needed. Sprinkle the pie with lemon juice and place in the oven to cook for 30-35 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes, then serve with a dollop of coconut cream.
Calories: 693kcal Carbohydrates: 65g Protein: 4g Fat: 51g Saturated Fat: 44g Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g Monounsaturated Fat: 3g Sodium: 150mg Potassium: 403mg Fiber: 11g Sugar: 26g Vitamin A: 93IU Vitamin C: 18mg Calcium: 55mg Iron: 2mg
Do you want a personalised diet?
We can chat with you about your symptoms and help figure out if you need more investigative care around your health.