Did you know that regular consumption of alkaline foods can help you to lose weight?
When you suffer from thyroid problems, one of the main symptoms people experience is unexplained weight gain. This is due to the metabolism slowing down. As we age, our bodies lose the ability to cope effectively with excessive acid load. Slight alterations in the body’s pH can cause endocrine and metabolic disturbances.
One of the ways our body’s adapt to a buildup of excess acidity is weight gain. Consuming a diet high in acid forming foods and drinks causes our detoxification pathways to become overloaded. If the acids can’t get out of the body they become stored in fatty tissue. Allergy causing foods, heavy metal accumulation, and poor diets create this acidic waste. As these wastes and toxins circulate throughout the blood, they block the flow of Tyrosine and iodine – important nutrients for thyroid hormone production. Furthermore, these acids can clog the liver, making it difficult for that important conversion of T4 into the active T3.
– Primarily, your energy levels are severely depleted
– The acids draw alkaline minerals from your bones and organs
– Acid wastes are stored as fat
– Inflammation is created in the body and leads to disease.
– Animal proteins
– Beans and legumes
– Dairy foods
– Coffee, soft drinks, cordials, sugary drinks
– Artificial sweeteners and sugar
– Cashews, peanuts, pecans, pistachios, walnuts
– Start increasing raw green and orange veggies into your diet (especially lettuce, celery, spinach, zucchini and carrots)
– Ensure filtered water daily
– Reduce the amount of acidic foods you consume (dairy products, pastries, breads, sugary foods, soft drinks, animal products, etc.)
– Take alkalising minerals you may be deficient in, under the guidance of a health practitioner who can assess your nutrient deficiencies
Always ensure you get the best advice possible when trying to alkalise your body naturally. Naturopaths have lots of experience in reviewing diets and suggesting where you can make appropriate changes to get you alkalising safely. Remember that adopting more alkaline foods in to the diet is a great way to improve thyroid function and get that metabolism working efficiently. When this starts to take place, your energy improves and weight loss is so much more achievable!