Today I want to share some information about infections which are often at the root of a chronic illness, particularly autoimmune disorders such as Hashimoto’s, fibromyalgia and Crohn’s.
These bacterial, viral, or fungal infections are very tricky diagnose, which is why they are called ‘Stealth’ pathogens – they evade the immune system, can lay dormant, and diagnosis can be tricky and expensive.
Let’s look at how Natural Medicine can help.
Conditions often associated with stealth pathogens include:
- Autoimmune conditions
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Chronic Lyme
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple chemical sensitivities
- and more
Examples of stealth pathogens include: Bartonella, Babesia, Parvovirus, Mycoplasma, Helicobacter pylori, Epstein-Barr Virus and others.
They are capable of adapting to avoid (and hide) from our immune system. They can form biofilms which effectively ‘shield’ them from our immune system. In chronic health conditions, breaking down biofilms is a key strategy in supporting the body to recover and heal.
Symptoms that may present
- Arthritis like symptoms
- Paralysis, often of the face
- Memory impairment (brain fog)
- Random areas of tingling, numbness
- Skin rashes, sensitivities to light and food
- Palpitations, irregular heart beat, chest pain
- Dizziness, chronic cough, floaters in eyes
As the infection continues and becomes chronic, the symptoms worsen;
- Chronic fatigue
- Food intolerances and sensitivities
- Anxiety, depression
- Muscular, nerve and ‘migrating’ joint pains
- Testing can be more unreliable at this stage
Treatment for Stealth Infection
Healing from a stealth infection can take months – to years. Different pathogens will damage and can affect all systems of the body from the arterial walls to the neurological pathways, as well as drive an autoimmune disease or imbalance.
Luckily herbal medicine has some amazing herbs that are proving to be useful in treatment of stealth pathogens, with some of our favourites being:
Japanese knotweed, green tea, myrrh, andrographis, hemidesmus, pau d’arco, Golden Seal and many more.
Holistic treatment aims to do the following:
- Protect endothelial structures.
- Protect collagen structures.
- Modulate cytokine activity: inflammatory cytokines contribute associated organ damage.
- Protect and heal damaged tissue/organs.
- Eradicate spirochetal infection. any of a group of spiral-shaped bacteria, some of which are serious pathogens for humans, causing diseases such as syphilis, yaws, Lyme disease, and relapsing fever. Examples of genera of spirochetes include Spirochaeta, Treponema, Borrelia, and Leptospira.
- Reduce fatigue, anxiety, brain fog, and pain.
The proportion of bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics has risen steeply during the last thirty years. Today, 63% of bacteria are not responding to traditional antibiotics.
Simple infections will become increasingly difficult to shift and can escalate quickly. Having a robust, reliable immune system is life-saving, especially for the elderly and very young.
Natural medicine is perfectly suited to helping people with poor immunity and infectious diseases. Our immune systems are remarkably complex and constantly evolving. Herbal and natural solutions are ideal at boosting defense and fighting infections.
Book a consult now to start an integrative approach to support your health and wellness!