With Summer in full swing, I thought it great timing to share my favourite Paleo BBQ recipes!
Note – Vegetarians can use haloumi instead of chicken wings for a delicious option. Vegans can use tofu cut into 2cm thick slabs.
SWEET & SPICY BBQ SAUCE
Prep Time 10 minutes – Cook Time 15 minutes – Serves 2 cups
- 5 Medjhool Dates (Pitted and Soaked in warm water)
- 1/4 cup Tomato Paste
- 1/2 cup Organic (unsweetened) Apple Juice or Pineapple Juice
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika (smoked would be better)
- 1/4- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper Powder (depending on your spice level)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Pit and soak 5 dates in warm filtered water for about 15 minutes.
- In a medium sauce pan, mix together all the above remaining ingredients (tomato paste, apple juice, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper powder, salt, apple cider vinegar) and heat them through gently on medium to low heat. Bring to a low simmer.
- Blend the dates into a smooth puree, using some of the water they were soaking in.
- Now add the date puree to the simmering sauce and mix it well.
- Let the sauce simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until it thickens and reaches the consistency you like.
- Let the sauce cool and use on meats or veggies and even as a dipping sauce!
NOTE – AIP adaptions: Use strawberry in place of tomato paste. Omit cayenne and paprika.
SWEET & SPICY BBQ Chicken Wings
Prep Time 2+hours – Cook Time 15 minutes – Serves 2
- BBQ sauce from above recipe
- 1kg Chicken Wings
- Coat chicken wings in BBQ sauce and cover. Place in fridge for at least 2 hours to marinade, or overnight is you are super organised.
- Heat the BBQ and line with baking paper. (This keeps your plate clean)
- Spray the baking paper with coconut oil spray to prevent sticking.
- Cook marinaded wings 5 minutes each side or until cooked through. Baste with more BBQ sauce if needed.
- Serve with your favourite salads!