Today I a low carb Paleo recipe which can be used as a part of a weight loss plan.
I’ve also added a DYI symptom survey at the bottom of the email so you can see if your thyroid is affecting your precious metabolism – how do you score?
Cauliflower, Kale & Sausage Bowl
Cooking the kale reduces the goitrogen content in kale and cauliflower by 2/3, so even thyroid patients can have this meal in moderation, especially if they are supplementing already with protective iodine.
1/2 head Cauliflower (chopped into florets)
2 tablespoons Avocado Oil (divided)
Himalayan Salt & Black Pepper (to taste)
3 cups Kale Leaves (chopped)
250g Organic Chicken Sausage
1 ripe Avocado
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a baking sheet with baking paper. (350°F)
- Toss the cauliflower florets with half of the avocado oil, lay in a single layer on the baking sheet, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Roast for 30 minutes, or until golden brown, tossing halfway through.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, heat the remaining avocado oil in a small skillet over high heat. Add the kale and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes until crispy. Sprinkle with sea salt to taste, and transfer to bowl.
- Add sausages to the skillet and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, turning frequently. While the sausages are cooking, bring a small saucepan of water to a boil and poach the eggs.
- To assemble, divide cauliflower and kale between bowls. Slice and add sausages, avocado, and top with an egg. Enjoy!
If following a plant-based diet: Use chickpeas or tempeh instead of sausage, and skip the egg.
Why Low Carb Paleo?
If a women has a suboptimal thyroid function, her body at rest burns around 500 calories less a day.
This is due to the slowed down metabolism, and why weight loss becomes really hard. People find themselves eating so much less just to maintain their weight, and when they eat even less again, it affects their blood sugars, energy, and their nutritional intake. The body fights to hold onto the fat in an effort to maintain balance.
A low carb Paleo diet is a good general recommendation as it is nutrient dense, and low in sugar and starch. It also encourages good macro nutrient balance for a sluggish metabolism.
How do you know this could be you? If you have more than 3 of the following symptoms, it can be a thyroid issue.
THYROID SYMPTOM SURVEY
- Tiredness & Sluggishness, lethargic
- Dryer Hair or Skin (Thick, dry ,scaly)
- Sleep More Than Usual
- Weaker Muscles
- Constant Feeling of cold (fingers / hands/ feet)
- Frequent Muscle Cramps
- Poorer Memory
- More Depressed (mood Change easily)
- Slower Thinking
- Puffier Eyes
- Difficulty with Math
- Hoarser or Deeper Voice
- Coarse Hair / Hair loss / brittle
- Muscle / Joint Pain
- Low Sex Drive / Impotence
- Puffy Hands and Feet
- Unsteady Gait (bump into things)
- Gain Weight Easy
- Outer Third Of Eyebrows Thin
- Menses More Irregular ( should be 28 Days)
- Heavier Menses (clotting / 3+ days)
- Carpel Tunnel Syndrome
The Food Intolerance Confusion
For people that have any symptoms relating to diet, further investigation is recommended.
It is impossible to guess your food intolerances, as everyone has different ones based on damage history to the integrity of the gut mucus membranes, diet history and medical factors such as surgery or anti-biotic use. Food intolerances can have obvious physical symptoms immediately, or a slow accumulative build up of inflammation which is not apparent for up to 3 days! This makes it really hard to figure out without doing a science based IgG food intolerance assessment.
If you have an immune imbalance, gut symptoms, or tried everything but nothing works, there could be a better food approach to assist your healing by doing a food intolerance test. Book in today!