This amazing recipe is as flexible as it is delicious!
Popping it on low in the slow cooker last thing before bed makes breakfast a breeze, it’s the perfect blend of sweet and savoury, with a yummy tang! You can substitute the cauliflower for white sweet potato if you want an even sweeter version, or add extra chunks of carrots and parsnips if you want lots of leftovers for lunches, or spare meals to freeze.
Want it faster, or for a different meal? Add quick to cook veg like chopped asparagus, mushrooms or zucchini, or replace the mince with small chucks of chicken breast. Instead of slow cooking overnight you can also oven bake at 180 degrees for up to 1.5hrs or slow bake up to 3 hours at 150 degrees.
These quantities are easy to double too, or prep in advance, leaving your dish ready to go in the fridge, to heat up another time when you’re under the pump.
Creamy AIP Breakfast Casserole
4 generous serves
- 15ml AIP approved cooking oil such as lard, duck fat, or coconut oil
- 500g premium grass fed beef mince
- 1 x medium brown onion diced small
- 1/2 head of cauliflower or a 450g bag Woolworths Macro Organic Frozen Cauliflower
- 200ml can of coconut cream, choose a brand like Macro organic that has no other fillers or ingredients and a high coconut percentage
- 1 x Large bag of baby spinach, 120g
- 2 x diced peaches, or plums, or peeled and cored apples.
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 2 x tablespoons fresh green herbs such as parsley, basil, chives or oregano
- 1 x tsp Himalayan salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven, if not using the slow cooker.
- Brown the onions with half the oil in a cast iron pan on the stove, then add the mince and brown it too, lid on, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, use a blender or thermomix to combine the cauliflower, coconut milk and salt, to taste. Add lemon juice and blend quickly again until very smooth.
- Place all ingredients, sauce and seasoning into your slow cooker on low overnight or into a large casserole pot that has a lid and bake according to the above directions
- Optional: garnish with nutritional yeasts or diced spring onions.
NUTRITION – per serve
Calories: 613kcal Carbohydrates: 104g Protein: 7g Fat: 21g Fiber: 7g
Need a hand finding the right fuel for your body? Why not pick up a free call with our Health Team – nutrition is one of their favourite topics, so they’ll have lots of tips to help you out in the kitchen!