Do you have some good quality probiotics in the fridge?
How about a can of Coconut Cream?
Then you are ready to make this delicious, healthy, probiotic rich recipe at a fraction of the cost of premade yogurt!
- 1 can full-fat coconut cream
- 2 probiotic capsules
- Open your coconut cream can and scoop out the solid cream. Depending how thick you like your yogurt, add more or none of the coconut water.
- Place coconut cream in a clean jar or glass container. Stir the milk/cream to combine, then open up your probiotic capsules and add the contents to the milk (discard the leftover capsule casing).
- With a clean wooden, plastic or ceramic spoon, stir in the probiotics. Do not use a metal spoon as it may negatively affect the probiotics. Cover the jar with a clean cheese cloth or thin dishtowel, tighten with an elastic band and leave to sit on the counter for 24-48 hours (depending how warm your house is). Keep away from direct sunlight.
- Your coconut yogurt will be ready in about 24 hours. Taste it to see when it is ready, recognisable by a distinctive tangy yogurt taste.
- Once done, place a lid on your container and place the yogurt in fridge. Allow it to set a bit firmer for a couple extra hours in the fridge. Lasts up to 4 days in the fridge.
TIP- Your coconut milk should be creamy, not lumpy, white and smell deliciously of coconuts. If it doesn’t turn out that way, try again.
The NUTRITIONAL factor
More and more studies show that the balance of bacteria in your digestive system is linked to overall health and disease. Probiotics promote a healthy balance of gut bacteria and have been linked to a wide range of health benefits.
Probiotics Help Balance The Friendly Bacteria in Your Digestive System – so adding probiotic rich foods into your daily diet can maintain the right balance of bacteria and keep you healthy.
Probiotics Can Help Mood Disorders – Both animal and human studies find that probiotic supplements can improve some mental health disorders. This usually involves a therapeutic strength supplement, but adding probiotic foods to the diet will definitely help keep your mood healthier.
Probiotics Can Help Reduce Symptoms of Certain Digestive Disorders – yogurt can be very calming to an inflamed or upset belly, and if you have found that dairy based yogurt didn’t agree with you, try this coconut recipe.
Probiotics May Boost Your Immune System – Probiotic-rich food may help give your immune system a boost and inhibit the growth of harmful gut bacteria.