Celebrities today are public figures and role models, and when they share intimate details about their health problems, they can help so many people by turning the spotlight of health on, and taking the shame of not feeling well away.
You will probably be shocked to see some of your favourite celebrities dealing with thyroid disease that you never suspected!
Whether you are famous or not – a millionaire or not – on TV or not – thyroid symptoms are ALL THE SAME.
Oprah openly shared her fight with Hashimoto’s disease, experiencing the swing thyroid hormones make in this condition.
“My body was turning on me,” she wrote in O, The Oprah Magazine. “First hyperthyroidism, which sped up my metabolism and left me unable to sleep for days. (Most people lose weight. I didn’t.) Then hypothyroidism, which slowed down my metabolism and made me want to sleep all the time. Most people gain weight. I did! Twenty pounds! (9kg)”
Hashimoto’s disease is a common thyroid disease where your immune system attacks your thyroid gland. It can cause a rush of too much thyroid hormone, causing ‘hyper-thyroid’ symptoms, such as;
- Rapid and/or irregular heart beat
- Brittle Nails
- Weight Loss – but not always
- Feeling racy and wired
Once the gland is exhausted, or too damaged to produce excess hormones, the body then swings into a ‘hypo-thyroid’ state. Symptoms include:
- Intolerance to cold
- Muscle aches and cramps
- Weight gain or difficulty losing weight
- Poor appetite
- Goiter (enlarged thyroid gland)
- Dry, rough skin
- Coarse hair or hair loss
- Eye and face swelling
- Deeper and/or hoarse voice
- Enlarged tongue
- Irregular or heavy menstrual periods
- Memory loss
- Slowed thinking and mental activity
- Increased blood cholesterol levels
Hillary Rodham Clinton
In July 2015 indicating that she was being treated for hypothyroidism.
Interestingly enough, she chose to use NDT – a bio-identical hormone that is not the regular treatment choice, and even shunned by many conservative doctors.
NDT is an oral preparation that includes dried T4 and T3 hormones derived from cows or pigs.
While used for generations for the treatment of hypothyroid disease, NDT is not considered the standard of care in America or Australia.
What is NDT and is it better?
We see a lot of patient who are on standard thyroid replacement medication, such as thyroxine or oroxine, but are suffering from many symptoms of hypothyroidism – even when the dose is apparently RIGHT.
We have a team of integrated Doctors on our team, qualified to prescribe NDT if you are currently taking medication or looking to move to an alternative, simply call us to see if we can support you with this transition.
When thyroid hormones come over in a natural form – our body are more often able to recognise it as if they were our own hormones made by our thyroid gland.
Known her roles on TV’s “Battlestar Galactica” and “24,” Katee had her thyroid gland removed due to cancer.
In January 2011, a one-year check-up confirmed that there were no signs of cancer. However, not all of Sackhoff’s scars were immediately healed. In an interview, Sackhoff stated: “It was the scariest thing I’ve ever been through…”
Katee now needs daily thyroid medication to replace the hormones her gland would normally make.
Other celebs with thyroid problems….
- Singer Toni Childs is in remission from Graves’ disease. She dropped out of the music scene for nearly a decade to cope with her condition.
- Former President George H.W. Bush and his wife Barbara Bush both were diagnosed with Graves’ disease while he was in office.
- Actress Sofia Vergara had her thyroid removed as part of the standard treatment and is reliant on thyroid hormones to maintain normal function. In 2013, the star became the spokesperson for the thyroid drug Synthroid.
- Rocker Rod Stewart had surgery on his thyroid gland to remove a tumor.
- Hip-hop star Missy Elliott publicly discussed being diagnosed with Graves’ disease and hyperthyroidism in 2008.
Thyroid problems don’t discriminate!
If you want a holistic and thorough approach to YOUR hormonal health, simply book in a FREE 15 MINUTE PHONE CONSULTATION.
Prevention is better than cure, but we have an amazing team of naturopaths and doctors to support your health at all levels.
Any questions you can always call us at 1300 THYROID, we’re here to support you.
We look forward to hearing from you soon!
PS – We have 13 clinics around Australia from Western Australia down to Hobart and up to the Sunshine Coast). We also offer remote support options for clients that are unable to come in to see us.