Todays recipe is set for Spring!
Light, tasty, and using seasonal produce, this is a wonderful and simple recipe that will boost the use of herbs in your cooking, and keep everyone in the house satisfied!
- 800 grams chicken breasts
- salt & pepper
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 tablespoons chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (fresh)
- Season chicken with salt & pepper and cook on grill or grill pan for about 5 minutes per side until done. If using a grill pan on the stove, grease with about 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil before placing chicken on it.
- While chicken cooks, melt coconut oil in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add strawberries, basil, mint and orange juice and simmer for about 10 minutes until reduced and thickened.
- Spoon strawberry sauce over cooked chicken and garnish with additional basil & mint.
- Serve with a fresh crunchy salad.
The NUTRITIONAL factor
Seasonal strawbs are the BEST – but did you know they can come with a whack of chemicals?
A Pesticide Action Network Analysis of pesticide residues using USDA data found 54 different pesticide residues were detected among strawberry samples. The testing turned up nine known or probable carcinogens, 24 suspected hormone disruptors, 11 neurotoxins, 12 developmental or reproductive toxins, and 19 honeybee toxins. Traces of fungicides captan and pyraclostrobin turned up on more than half of strawberry samples tested.
Your best bet is to choose organic – or grow your own! Now is a great time to buy some pots and strawberry runners from the nursery and grow your own organic strawbs this season 🙂
Need help figuring out the right diet for YOU?