Healthy Home-Made Breakfast Muesli
Not only is this suitable for breakfast but can be consumed as a mid-afternoon snack or after dinner – to avoid the foods high in refined sugar. A crunchy, wholesome cereal blend which is high in fibre, antioxidants, is filling and has a low glycaemic index, low in grains and free of gluten. Helps to balance blood sugar, sustain hunger, provide minerals especially calcium and zinc, supports healthy gut bacteria and excretion of hormonal by products.
We love how this recipe works out much more cost effective to make your own than to be buying premade from supermarkets!!
This recipe will make a large batch – mix in a large mixing bowl and store in an airtight container.
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
3 cups puffed buckwheat
½ cup sesame seeds
½ cup chia seeds
1 cup linseeds (aka flaxseeds)
½ cup shredded coconut
Optional : ½ cup chopped raw nuts (preferably almonds or macadamias)
Optional: adding ¼ cup amaranth or puffed quinoa
Note: use organic wherever possible – spray free, chemical free
1. Soft version: for a single serving use ¼ cup, soak in filtered water (just cover and put in the refrigerator overnight or for a few hours) or soak in a small amount of 100% mango nectar, add grated apple, mashed banana or any fruit of your choice or good quality yoghurt once soaked.
2. Crunchy version: either add a nut or rice milk of your choice – be aware that this isn’t digested as well as the soaked version
3. Add to organic, quality yoghurt and eat straight away for a crunchier texture. We recommend the coyo coconut yoghurt, only a tablespoon or 2 is needed as its so thick, some may need a little water stirred in too!
4. Add 2 tbsp to existing cereal – oats (contains gluten) or quinoa porridge, spelt (contains gluten) or rice flakes, etc.
5. Garnish salads or omelettes, or add to slices, biscuit or muffin recipes – for extra fibre and nutrients.
6. Add the cereal mix, coconut flour, honey and tahini together – roll into balls or press into slice container, roll in desiccated coconut and refrigerate for a raw vegan, healthy treat.