Bitter melon (Momordica charantia), Bitter gourd, or Karela, is a type of edible, medicinal fruit that is beneficial for blood sugars, liver health, and has been studied for its anti-cancer properties.
Recipe thanks to Liyen – thank you for suggesting this!
- 4 eggs free range
- 1/2 red chili finely chopped
- 1/2 small bitter melon see preparation below
- 1/2 tblsp Sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tblsp Coconut oil
Prepare the bitter melon
- Cut in half length ways and scrape out the seeds. Finely chop into half moon shapes.
- Add Sea salt and massage into the sliced bitter melon, then let sit for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the bitter melon to wash off all the salt 2 times in water. This reduces the bitterness.
Cook the omelet
- In a bowl, crack the eggs and whisk to combine yolk and white.
- Next add pepper, chili. Mix. Then add the washed bitter melon.
- Heat the oil in the wok. When it is very hot, spoon several spoons of the egg mixture on the bottom of the pan. Then lay the bitter melon on top – you may need to use your hands. And finally pour any remaining egg mix evenly over the omelet.
- Cover the wok to catch heat. Check the base of the omelet to ensure it is not burning – turn down heat if needed.
- When bottom is light brown (about 2 minutes) carefully flip the omelet over using 2 spatulas and cook on the other side.
- When that side is cooked, remove from the heat and serve.
Bitter melon has been the focus of well over 100 clinical and observational studies. It’s best known for its hypoglycemic affects (the ability to lower blood sugar), and research shows that the melon’s juice, fruit and dried powder can all be used to mimic insulin’s effects and treat diabetes. You use the steps to prepare bitter melon above, and then add this amazing vegetable to stir-fries and salads.
Calories: 262kcal Carbohydrates: 3g Protein: 12g Fat: 23g Saturated Fat: 16g Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g Monounsaturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 327mg Sodium: 1559mg Potassium: 230mg Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Vitamin A: 693IU Vitamin C: 36mg Calcium: 57mg Iron: 2mg