We love the omega 3 to 6 ratio in wild-caught fatty fish like salmon, and adding walnut to this recipe beefs up the brain nourishing properties. Plus it tastes amazing!
Walnut Crusted Salmon with Asparagus
- 1/2 tb30 grams Walnuts very finely chopped
- 1 stalk Green Onion very finely chopped
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Italian Herbs Seasoning
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil divided
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 salmon fillets
- 250 g asparagus trimmed
- 200 g chicken breast chopped into small cubes approx 1cm
- Preheat the oven to 176ºC and line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
- Combine the walnuts, green onion, salt and Italian seasoning. Add the lemon juice and 1/3 of the oil and stir to mix.
- Rub another 1/3 of the oil over all sides of the salmon fillets and place the salmon on the prepared baking sheet, skin side down. Spoon the walnut mixture on the top side of the fillets and gently press it down with the back of the spoon so the walnut mixture stays in place.
- Toss the asparagus in the remaining oil and season with sea salt to taste. Place the seasoned asparagus in an even layer on the baking sheet with the salmon.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the salmon is cooked through and flakes easily and asparagus is tender. Divide between plates and enjoy!
The NUTRITIONAL factor
Calories: 429kcal Carbohydrates: 7g Protein: 39g Fat: 28g Saturated Fat: 4g Polyunsaturated Fat: 12g Monounsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 94mg Sodium: 1241mg Potassium: 1170mg Fiber: 4g Sugar: 3g Vitamin A: 1076IU Vitamin C: 9mg Calcium: 70mg Iron: 5mg
Omega-3 fatty acids are polyunsaturated fats, a type of fat your body can’t make. The ideal ratio of omega-6 foods to omega-3 foods is about equal to, or at least at, a 2:1 ratio of omega-6s to omega-3s. But studies suggest that people who follow a typical Western diet may consume a ratio of between 15-to-1 and almost 17-to-1, resulting in systemic inflammation and chronic disease.
- Omega 3 holds many important health benefits such as lowering triglycerides, cholesterol and blood pressure.
- It supports brain health and studies have shown dramatic improvements in depression and/or anxiety.
- Omega-3s helps decrease system-wide inflammation – this has a beneficial effect on basically any chronic health concern.