Brain fog, physical sluggishness, hair shedding, dull skin, and weight gain.
All these annoying symptoms are often resolved once someone is put on the right dose of iodine!
Iodine is not just about thyroid – oh no. In fact, the thyroid only equates to 1/5 of the total need our body has for iodine.
RDI levels of iodine do not take this into context alongside the degree of deficiency the population has, the actually dietary intake we have, and the level of competitive toxins we are all exposed to every day.
Check out this email to understand why iodine could be the very nutrient you need to get you feeling amazing again!
Do you enjoy 6+ serves of sustainably caught seafood a week, with plenty of seaweeds and fresh vegetables?
Not many Aussies do! (myself included) Many people who come to our clinic hate the smell and taste of seafood, and have a lifetime of actively avoiding it! They also happen to have the worse iodine deficiencies in those we test.
If you fit into this category, then iodine supplementation will be for you!
CLICK HERE to book a consult to discuss testing and starting your iodine correction program.
Iodine! It’s a trace element essential for human health. It’s most well known for its impact on the thyroid. Iodine is needed for the production of the thyroid hormones T4 and T3. When iodine levels in the body are insufficient this leads to the underproduction of T4 and T3 and in severe cases cause the thyroid gland to enlarge into a goiter in the attempt to trap more circulating iodine.
Iodine deficiency symptoms include:
- weight gain
- brain fog
- dry skin
- hair thinning
- muscle aches and weakness
- elevated blood cholesterol
- impaired memory
- fertility issues
- irregular menstruation
- slowed heart rate
Iodine affects more than just our thyroid
In pregnancy mild-moderate deficiency can affect the baby’s physical development and hearing, and can cause learning difficulties. When iodine deficiency is severe in pregnancy this can cause major physical and neurological abnormalities, miscarriage, and stillbirth.
Iodine deficiency in children can lead to neurological development and behavioral problems and has been found to lower the IQ of the child.
Iodine has been found to have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial effects. Iodine therapy has been shown to decrease pain and fibrotic tissue in women with fibrocystic breast disease, as well as having positive effects in the treatment of bronchitis, hemorrhoids, headaches, hypertension, liver disease, parasites, yeast infections, and cysts.
In recent years we have seen an increase in iodine deficiency, so much so that the Australian government in 2009 made it a requirement that all bakers use iodized salt (salt that has been fortified with iodine) in their baking unless their bread is certified organic.
Reasons for population wide iodine deficiency
- Modern-day farming practices – affects soil quality and in turn reduce the iodine quantity in our foods.
- People are eating less iodine-rich food – such as seaweed and fish and are therefore not consuming enough through their diet.
- Increased use of fluoride and bromide – these block the absorption of iodine in the body. Fluoride is found in most tap water around Australia, making the use of water filters essential. Bromide is an element found in fire retardants, some swimming pools, and pesticides.
How do I know if I have an iodine deficiency?
If you’re experiencing any of the signs or symptoms mentioned above, you could have an iodine deficiency.
A simple 24 hour urinary excretion load test will be able to tell if you do have an iodine deficiency or a toxic build-up of bromide in your body. This is a urine test and can be done from the comfort of your own home. Contact us to find out more.
How do I increase healthy levels of iodine in my body?
- Increase your consumption of seaweeds such as kelp, nori, kombu, and wakame
- Increase your consumption of fresh, line-caught fish and shellfish
- Supplement with a practitioner only iodine supplement
- Eat organic
- Drink filtered water
- Swim in the ocean or lake instead of chlorinated swimming pools
- Use fluoride-free toothpaste
- Wash new clothes before wearing them
- Book a consult to discuss testing and start your iodine correction program
“… after three short months l’m feeling like my old self & my whole world has changed for the better. I no longer have bloating or indigestion issues, energy levels are restored & sleepless nights are a thing of the past.” ~ K.J. Victoria
Start a journey to better health with people who understand how to uncover the root causes of health imbalances, and works with you to meet your health and weight goals.